Recipe serves: 6
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||80 min|
Roasted Chicken with Fresh Herbs & Shallot Gravy
- 4- to 5-lb. roasting chicken
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread, softened
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves [or 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves]
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves [or 1/2 tsp. dried sage leaves] (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (optional)
- 3 large shallots [or 1 medium onion], halved
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine [or chicken broth]
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Blend I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread, rosemary, sage, garlic and lemon peel in small bowl. Spread 3 tablespoons under chicken skin and spread remaining over outside of chicken.
- Arrange chicken breast side up in 18 x 12-inch roasting pan with or without rack. Roast uncovered 1 hour. Stir shallots into pan drippings and roast an additional 15 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of the thigh reaches 180°. Remove chicken and shallots from pan and keep warm. Remove rack from pan.
- Skim fat from pan drippings; reserve 2 tablespoons fat in pan with pan drippings. Place roasting pan over heat and blend in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Gradually stir in broth and wine and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or until gravy is thickened. Process gravy with shallots in blender until smooth; strain, if desired. Serve shallot gravy with chicken.
- Cost per recipe*: $11.01. Cost per serving*: $1.83. *Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.