- Recipe serves 6 servings
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 1 hr 20 min
- 4- to 5-lb. roasting chicken
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Original Spread
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried sage leaves (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (optional)
- 3 large shallots or 1 medium onion, halved
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400°.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Blend I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread, rosemary, sage, garlic and lemon peel in small bowl. Spread 3 tablespoons under chicken skin and spread remaining over outside of chicken.
Arrange chicken breast side up in 18 x 12-inch roasting pan with or without rack. Roast uncovered 1 hour. Stir shallots into pan drippings and roast an additional 15 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of the thigh reaches 180°. Remove chicken and shallots from pan and keep warm. Remove rack from pan.
Skim fat from pan drippings; reserve 2 tablespoons fat in pan with pan drippings. Place roasting pan over heat and blend in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Gradually stir in broth and wine and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or until gravy is thickened. Process gravy with shallots in blender until smooth; strain, if desired. Serve shallot gravy with chicken.