- Recipe serves 5 servings
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 50 min
- 10 Tbsp. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Original Spread
- 4 large Spanish onions, sliced ( about 4 lbs.)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) beef broth
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry (optional)
- 10 round slices (1/2-in.-thick) French bread or Italian bread
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese (about 4 oz.)
Melt 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread in Dutch oven or large saucepot over medium heat and cook onions, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until onions are very soft and golden. Add broth and wine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, evenly spread bread slices with remaining 2 tablespoons Spread, then top with cheese. Toast until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into serving bowls, then top with cheese toasts to serve.